Thursday, July 1, 2010

Over the last weekend my dad and I decided to skip town and photograph the burrowing owls of western Kansas. After a 6 hour car ride we discovered that the owls were not where they were the previous year. So we hopped back into the car for another hour to another location we have been researching. Well regretfully the owls were not there either. Instead of searching another day for the illusive owls we decided it would be best if we switched our focus to landscapes. About an hour away from our current location was the Chalk Pyramids. This is a rock formation that was left over from a vast inland sea. The first two images below are from there. We waited at this location for about 5 hours until we had the perfect light for the pictures below. I have also included several other images from my trip as well.

2 comments:

  1. Nice shots Mike. I really like the last one - beautiful colors and simple elegant composition.

    I didn't know there were burrowing owls in KS. I was in Cape Coral, FL in Feb looking there for burrowing owls but didn't see any. The locals said it was too cold . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have them in a few places in Western Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota. We believe we did not see the owls because it was to hot (105 degrees). Because of this the owls likely never came out of their holes. My father did photographed them in Kansas last year though.

    ReplyDelete